World Cup - Castilla Y Leon
Mirjam Melchers - Farm Frites-Hartol, took her first World Cup race by winning the Spanish round with a well judged sprint that saw her clear from 20 riders, including the 'on form' Rachel Heal - GB, who were so close but not close enough.
With 2 laps remaining of the 7 laps that made up this gruelling race held near Villarcayo - after the bunch had mainly stayed together for the opening few laps - Nicole Brandli - Prato Marathon and Olivia Gollan - Australia, attacked and gained a maximum of 42 seconds.
As the pace picked up in the chase it was a group of about 23 that finally caught the breakaways, a group that contained all the favourites. In the final lap Melchers attacked and was able to stay clear although her lead came down rapidly towards the end but she just held out to lift her arms aloft as she crossed the line.
1. Mirjam Melchers Farm Frites-Hartol 2 hrs 53 mins 47 secs
2. Anita Valen Bik Powerplate at 2 seconds
3. Sara Carrigan Bik Powerplate same
4. Alison Wright Australia same
5. Virginie Moinard France same
6. Rochelle Gilmore Ausra Gruodis same
7. Regina Schleicher USC Chirio Forno same
8. Rachel Heal GB same
9. Sharon van Dromme Vlaanderen T Interim same
10. Edita Pucinskaite SC Michela Fanini same
14. Nicole Cooke Austa Gruodis same
47. Charlotte Goldsmith GB at 4 mins 29 secs
61. Frances Newstead GB same
80. Emma Davies GB 7 mins 33 secs
Send your news now......