UK National Criterium Championships 2002
Hillingdon, West of London
From Jon Miles
18 year old Jacqui Marshall - VC St Raphael, beat breakaway companion Diane Moss - SPS Systems Wightlink, to win the Women's National Circuit Race Championship held at Hillingdon in London on a rain free day.
The 33 lap race started in sunny weather with notable absentees Frances Newstead and defending champion Charlotte Hopkinson; the first attack of the day was by Karen Jeffrey - Hiscox Insurance but she was caught, then it was the turn of Lisa Thomson - VC Bayeaux returning from her crash of three weeks ago still with a plate in her wrist, in fact Lisa was an early animator putting in three attacks. Each time the attack was brought back.
On the 7th lap WCPP rider Susan Carter - Team Powerbar, who just 10 weeks ago spent 2 days in intensive care after a very serious accident which required facial surgery, stretched the legs of the race, which she did several times.
The riders were very active with further attacks by Gabriella Day - Velo Club Lincoln, Marshall, Rachel Hobson - JE James and by halfway in the race Marshall was in the lead by 15 seconds, the bunch numbering 11 lead by Sally Boyden - Classic Walls CRT with 4 chasing including Corri Farquharson - Team Letchworth.
As the laps ticked by it was obvious that one of the attacks would be successful and with just 10 laps to go it was Marshall who attacked to lead for one lap until Moss got across to her and this looked like the one that would last.
The gap rose to a maximum of 23 seconds and even with Carter at the head of the bunch the gap never got below 15 seconds.
With 4 laps to go the bunch were in the same finishing straight as the leaders and it looked as if they would be caught but then no-one could decide in the bunch who would lead and the gap opened again; later Carter decided to set about that gap and she took Boyden and Chrissie Wenzel - Hemel Hempstead CC with her.
The gap was coming down but so slowly until going into the final lap the lead was down to 10 seconds, by the finish the chasers had closed it to just 5 seconds when side by side Moss and Marshall sprinted it out to end a fast and exciting National Championship with Sally Boyden getting the Bronze Medal.
After the race Boyden said that this is her final road race of a long and distinguished career; she will ride the Track Championships and the World Masters, then retire.
1. Jacqui Marshall VC St Raphael 1 hr 22 mins 40 secs
2. Diane Moss SP Systems-Wightlink same time
3. Sally Boyden Classic Walls CRT at 5 seconds
4. Susan Carter Team Powerbar same time
5. Chrissie Wenzel Hemel Hempstead CC same time
6. Jeanette Tebbutt Team Letchworth-Extran at 9 seconds
7. Nicola Wadham Kingston Wheelers same time
8. Lisa Thomson VC Bayeaux same time
9. Karen Jeffrey Hiscox Insurance same time
10. Rebecca Jones Lancs Travel same time
11. Rachel Hobson JE James RT same time
12. Annette Nielson Norwood Paragon at 15 secs
13. Gabriella Day Velo Club Lincoln same time
14. Jackie Dodd Kingston Phoenix at 2 mins
15. Ann Bath Kingston Phoenix same time
16. Corri Farquharson Team Letchworth-Extran same time
17. Jan Dickins Kingston Phoenix same time
Send your news now......